Vantango Newsletter December 2015
By Claude & Hazel
Events in Vancouver
And we hope to dance into the New Year with some of you at New Year’s Eve Milonga at 2155 Commercial Drive, hosted by Elizabeth – a celebratory evening of Argentine Tango with traditional tango music from the Golden Age by DJ, Michael.
Then January 22 – 24, Gabriela is bringing Claudio and Virginia to give workshops in tango and also Argentine folklore dances. And yes there will be a Gala on Saturday, January 23. All the details are on Gabriela’s website.
Tango Caliente – The Soul of the Tango is coming to the Orpheum Theater Friday, Feb. 5 and Saturday, Feb. 6. Bandoneonist Hector del Curto will play with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. In the past, he has played with the greats: Astor Piazzolla and Osvaldo Pugliese. There will be dance performances by Patricio Touceda and Eva Lucero, who now live in Seattle, and also Mario Consiglieri and Anabella Diaz-Hojman from Seattle and Buenos Aires. For information and tickets, click here.
And in the Benaroya Hall, Seattle, there will be one performance of Forever Tango on Sunday, January 17 at 4 pm.
Looking ahead, Che Malambois coming to Vancouver’s Vogue Theater on Friday, May 20, showcasing the electrifying percussive music and dance in the Argentine gaucho tradition. If you’ve never seen Malambo, this is your chance.
- In Seattle, Maximiliano Alvarado and Paloma Berrios will give workshops Jan. 28 – Feb. 1. We’ve taken classes with them several times in San Miguel de Allende and really enjoyed their teaching.
- The Seattle Tango Marathon will be March 4 – 6, 2016
- Portland’s ValenTango Feb. 10 – 15, 2016. There are some great teachers this year. If you intend to go, now is the time to check if there are still rooms at the DoubleTree Hotel at the tango discount price.
- Closer to home, you could take a mini break and go to the Second Annual Tango Retreat at Manresa Castle in Port Townsend April 15 – 17. Three Traditional Milongas, one 50/50 Milonga and one Alternative Milonga.
- We’ve never danced in Denver, Colorado but we hear it’s similar to Portland, so, if you can, you might want to check out the NaturalTango Festival hosted by Nick Jones April 21 – 24. Again there are some great teachers, including Gustavo Naveira and Giselle Anne.
May we dance into 2016 !
Claude and Hazel